Sunday, April 10, 2011

Homemade granola

I love eating healthy in the morning. The kind of energy provided by oats, fruit, nuts and yogurt can't really be provided by any other breakfast food. You get a decent amount of carbs that keep your body going until lunchtime. However, it's really easy to get bored with your every-day-granola. You can try changing the brand or buying a different type of your favorite muesli. Last night I came up with the idea of making my own granola mix. I combined rolled oats, walnuts (which have the perfect combnation of omega 3 and omega 6), cranberry, coconut, raisins, and flax seed. Then I mixed them with maple syrup, melted butter, a little bit of cinnamon, ground ginger and a pinch of salt. I baked it the oven to 325F (160C) for about 20-25 minutes until they turned golden-brown.
Sunday morning I served it with strawberries from the farmer's market right around the corner and of course my favorite plain, low fat yogurt or kefir (which surprisingly is available in our supermarket).



1 comment:

  1. Great idea for breakfast after eating tons of sweets during Easter :)

    ReplyDelete